Thursday, July 22, 2010

Vellum Butterflies

Good Morning! I have some more vellum butterflies today. I have gotten a few questions about these little guys so I thought I would give you some tips in making them. Here's what I do:
1. First I use PTI Vellum. You may think there is not a big difference, but there is. This is the thickest vellum I have ever encountered... in fact its too thick for some projects, but for butterflies its perfect.
2. I use my PTI butterfly die to die cut the vellum. I usually do a whole bunch at one time to save and use later.
3. I stamp my die cuts with the butterflies from PTI's butterfly dream. I use chalk inks, specifically the ones by Versamagic. The color lays down beautifully, it does not smear, and it dries very quick. I have used Palette inks but I find they are too watery and smear easily.
4. I add coordinating jewels. These jewels are teeny tiny. I got some from A'muse and some from Hero arts. They are itsy bitsy.
5. Attaching the butterfly to the card is a little tricky. First I fold up the wings. Then I spread Tombow liquid glue (in the white bottle with the green lid) on the the vellum under the jewels. I wait a few seconds and then stick it down. The glue is very strong and once dry the butterflies do not fall off.
For these two cards I used all PTI products (except ink and jewels). I used Kraft for the bases, one card has a side fold, the other a top fold. I used guidelines paper on the bases. I trimmed it with plum pudding twill. I used to fillable frame 5 to make the die cut, stamp the border, and the sentiment. Doesn't that ink match great? Its chalk ink by Versamagic in the color purple hydrangea.

13 comments:

Kara said...

love kraft and lavender together....really pretty!

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the helpful tops. Love that ink color. Is the versamagic in lil cubes or teardrop shapes?

IamDerby said...

Its the tear drop shapes Rhonda.

Heidi said...

Beautiful cards Michele! Thanks for the tips too. I think I'm going to start getting some of the chalk inks. Your images always look so nice and the quick drying time would be super.

Barbara said...

This is GORGEOUS!

Leah said...

This is so pretty, love vellum butterfly. Haven't tried PTI vellum, will the Cricut cut it? Love the purple too:)

IamDerby said...

Leah I am sure the cricut would cut pti vellum

anya said...

Hi Michele! These are beautiful! I love the Kraft and purple together! Thank you for the vellum tips, too!

Cheryl said...

I love these! The colors are beautiful, and the butterflies turned out great!

Diane Jaquay said...

I'm really digging the lavender with the Kraft too Michele, and your butterflies are so pretty stamped on the vellum!

B said...

Love the look of the vellum stamping! Yum!

Francie said...

Thanks for the tip about the Versamagic chalk ink on the vellum. These are adorable!

Laurie said...

These are awesome Michele! Thanks for the tips!